Internship at MicroPort

By Yu (Sherry) Xie

MicroPort Scientific Corporation is a Chinese medical solution provider with over 200 products sold worldwide currently, mainly covering medical disciplines including interventional cardiology, orthopedics, interventional radiology, electrophysiology, diabetes and endocrine management, surgical management, and others. It has a large global footprint of R&D and manufacturing facilities in China and US. This summer, I had an R&D intern opportunity in their largest headquarters in Shanghai, China. My major job responsibility was to develop small caliber artificial blood vessels through electrospinning technique. Due to previous experience in a related project of this field and knowledge of the process technology, I was able to get up to speed quickly on this project and make a big progress in the relatively short time. During the two months of practice as an intern, I have also confronted with a lot of incompetent aspects in my work, and therefore, I believed I still have many things need to learn and improve from my future research and experiment.