The Student Emergency Fund was established by the 2018 Faculty & Staff Giving Ambassadors to help ensure that Wilson College of Textiles students have access to the support and resources they need to successfully recover from unexpected financial crises. The goal of these funds is to prevent one small emergency or unexpected expense from derailing a student’s progress towards a degree. The fund is made possible from generous donors committed to helping students in need achieve their goal of graduating from NC State. The lists below are not exhaustive and other needs may be eligible to receive emergency funds.
Minimum Qualification Review
- The student is eligible for enrollment or is currently enrolled;
- The student has been verified as eligible for emergency funding by Financial Aid (i.e. the student has not exceeded their maximum award);
- Student’s financial need is likely to have a direct and foreseeable impact on the student’s academic success or retention at the university
- The student has demonstrated a good faith effort to explore other funding options (e.g. insurance, free or low-cost services readily available, relatives). If the student has applied and receives funding through the DASA Student Emergency Fund the student cannot receive funding through the Wilson College Student Emergency Fund until the next academic semester (fall, spring or summer).
- Emergency housing expenses
- Essential utilities (e.g. electric, gas, water)
- Safety and security needs (example: changing locks, moving costs, travel to court)
- Prescription and other costs related to medical or mental health care and their associated travel costs
- A student has not previously received financial assistance through this fund in the last 12 months.
- Financial needs arising from an unexpected emergency, accident, or other unexpected critical incidents
Other Needs Covered
- Academic supplies (books, technology, etc. not included in tuition and fees)
- Travel costs related to death or illness of an immediate family member
- Replacing essential personal belongings due to fire, theft, or natural disaster
- Other financial needs arising from individual and special circumstances to be determined on a case by case basis
Needs Not Covered
- Negligence or incident as a result of the student’s own actions
- Tuition and student fees
- Health insurance
- Continuous fixed expenses (e.g. rent)
- Study abroad costs
- Non-essential utilities (cable)
- Household furniture unrelated to damage or theft
- Costs of entertainment, recreation, or non-emergency travel
- Legal counsel and fees – Visit Student Legal Services for more information on legal counsel support.
- Parking tickets
Support the Wilson College of Textiles Student Emergency Fund
A gift to the Wilson College of Textiles Student Emergency Fund provides our students with the additional support they need when emergencies arise. Make a gift today to support student success in the midst of unexpected circumstances.
NC State and campus partners have developed many programs to support students in need of food, housing, financial and educational security.