Louise Cotton Mill

Charlotte, NC

Not one of the earliest cotton mills in Charlotte, the Louise Cotton Mill opened on May 31, 1897. Named for the wife of the president of the firm, H. S. Chadwick, the plant contained 7000 spindles and 368 looms. A two-story building 90 feet wide and 360 feet long, the Louise Mill was located on the Seaboard Airline Railroad just east of Charlotte. In 1900 a major addition was constructed, increasing the capacity to 20,000 spindles. A substantial portion of the Louise Mill survives. 1 In 1904 The Louise Mills were running 152 Draper Looms, by 1914 the name was not included as a customer. 3

louisecottonmillcharlotte

louise2

louise3

louise4

These post cards date back to the turn of the 20th century.  The earliest black and white cards allowed the sender to use the back side only for the address.  Card number 2 in the upper right corner has this message “Kate Mc and Dr. Evans were married today at 130 pm.  What do you think about that?”   signed “Hedgey” and dated 3/4/07.  The card was postmarked in High Point the next day.  The surrounding mill community is seen on card 4.  Postcards courtesy of Bill Wornall. 3

 Sources:  

  1. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission 1997 www.cmhpf.org/surveytextilesurvey.htm Accessed Sept. 7, 2009
  2. Peter Metzke Draper Customer records, Sept. 2009
  3. Bill Wornall, NC Textile Mill Postcard Collection. Sept. 2009